Rover time, Part VIII: Fuel, ignition and coolant

carbs_on_bench.jpg

I spent a good part of the weekend, and nearly all of my day off Monday, getting bits and pieces of the Rover reassembled. I had rebuilt the carburetors months ago, but that’s only half the battle – I also had to reinstall them on the intake manifold, reassemble the linkages and make what adjustments I could on the bench. Rover never seemed to take the simple way out. See that black cylinder between the carbs? It houses a big spring that can be adjusted to make certain that the carburetor bodies are perfectly square with the manifold. The carbs attach to a metal adapter, which mounts to the manifold with – what else? – big O-rings. The Rover engineers never saw a piece of machinery that couldn’t be improved with two or three O-rings.

gaskets.jpg

Thanks to Rover enthusiasts Dirk Burrowes and Steve Manwell, I got a big CARE package of Rover parts last week. Among them were these intake manifold gaskets. The 4-into-2-into-1 exhaust header is factory Rover. I had had it brazed where it had cracked; you won’t see any of that once the carbs and their heat shield are reinstalled.

carbs_installed.jpg

Here the carburetors are back home. The only fiddly bit was getting the accelerator linkage lined up.

distributor.jpg

It took me two tries, but I got the distributor installed the right way ’round. I think. The factory manual called for setting the engine at TDC, but with the number 4 cylinder on the compression stroke, and lining the distributor rotor up with the number 4 spark plug contact. I don’t know why they do it that way instead of using number 1….

radiator.jpg

Another rare example of forethought: I had the radiator cleaned out a few weeks ago by a local shop. Good thing, because they found a few small leaks, too. Should be all set to go.

engine_bay.jpg

Here’s how things are looking. I really like the looks of the 2000 TC’s engine bay, with all that shiny aluminum. All I need to do now is to install one more coolant line, plug in the spark plug wires and reconnect all the loose wires, and I should have a running engine. No promises, but I’m hoping to have the car roadworthy for Dirk’s big Rover show this month.



Related posts:



Related posts:



0 коммент.:

Отправить комментарий